celebrate handmade

Saturday, January 26, 2008

No more "A" word!

It's true! I seem to have overcome the cursed "A" word, having taken an introductory applique class yesterday & survived it!! Woo hoo! It's a block of the month, with 6.5" applique blocks designed by Lori Smith & taught by Sheryl Johnson at Temecula Quilt Co. I did most of the work in class: tracing the design on freezer paper, making it thicker with another layer of freezer paper. Cutting out the motifs & pressing them onto the wrong side of the fabric, then cutting them out with a scant 1/4" seam allowance. Next was using spray starch brushed onto the seam allowances & folding them over the freezer paper, then drying the starch with the mini iron. Voila! "Needle-turned" motifs before any needle shows up. I finished all the starching-and-pressing after I got home, glue-basted the motifs to the background & after letting it dry overnight, I'm ready to do the actual stitching. I'll post a picture when that part is done. I'm so encouraged!

No comments: