celebrate handmade

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Good Book Alert!

I just read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, and I want everyone I know to have read it, too. Such a wonderful story, about the island of Guernsey during the German occupation during WWII. The story is told entirely in letters to/from residents of the island and others in England and elsewhere. Oddly, the format didn't seem to get in the way of the story at all, but the different styles, syntaxes and voices of each writer was a special bonus. I don't want to tell too much of the story, but I will tell you that there was humor, pathos, tragedy, high comedy (and low!), mystery, history . . . . . I could go on, but you get the picture: it was a complete entertainment and I hated to reach the final page. I may just have to read it all over again before passing it on to a friend. Or, I may have to buy another copy for my friend and keep this one close at hand. Yes, it's that good.
Go! Get thee to the bookstore and get your own copy so you can understand what I'm talking about here. Really.

No comments: